Saturday, January 16, 2010

Do You Know Where Your Children Are?

Somebody alert Sarah Palin! There's a rogue child hanging out near our house, and it's really kinda creepy. The town of Winterville is in the process of expanding the park behind our neighborhood, and one of the additions is a walking trail. I'm super excited about this - Micah and I have already been strolling there twice this week. Well, today the whole family went, and we were followed by this rogue child carrying two pieces of rebar and a pellet gun. Every now and then, he would start shooting that gun. I was about to freak out! Jamie had just asked me, "Do you feel safe walking on this trail alone?" And I had said, "Oh, yes, very safe." We tried to lose this child, but to no avail. He stayed right with us for two loops around the trail. My eye was on that pellet gun the whole time. If he so much as waved it in Micah's direction, I was taking him down. Craziness. When we started to head back home, the child actually looked disappointed. This is the point where I want to launch into my "people need to control their children" lecture, but I'll refrain.

So I learned a valuable lesson last night: If I drink caffeine at dinner, the whole family will be awake most of the night. Now that Micah's stomach has recovered from last week, he has been sleeping 11+ hours at night. That is, until last night when he decided that 3am would be a good time to start his day. Jamie and I took turns trying to re-settle him to no avail. I knew it was my fault, so I felt bad...but not so bad that I didn't ask Jamie to take the 5:30-7am shift so that I could get a little sleep. We're all walking around like zombies today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whewwwwwww, I'm so glad Micah's picture is still up here!! I LOVE this picture of him! Where may I buy one? I'm serious! I love this picture!!! Love, GG

The Russell Family said...

I may teach the child! LOL!! Get you some mace or a tazer to carry with you when you walk by your self with Micah. I love the area in Winterville, too, but you can never be too careful!

East Carolina In My Mind said...

Wow! That is crazy! I went on that trail the other week and really liked it. I will be sure to look out for that little pellet gun boy though lol!