Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Truth

I say lots of prayers for my unborn baby. I pray for his health, that he's a good sleeper when he's born (wink), but the most important thing I pray is that Jesus will know him by name, that Micah will have a personal relationship with his Heavenly Father. Our pastor is doing a sermon series on religious relativism - the prevailing idea in our culture that no absolute truth exists when it comes to religion - and I've felt the burden even more to make sure that Micah knows and understands Truth. (Click here to listen to the sermons from the Whatever series. I especially recommend Whatever...all paths lead to God.)

It seems like teaching him God's Truth should be an easy job for us. Jamie and I both have a personal relationship with Jesus, we love our church and attend regularly, and we have lots of Christian friends who share our values. But I don't want Micah to have his Christian beliefs challenged one day and then realize he only believes the way he does because his parents told him to, or because he never knew anything different. Simply put, I want him to have a very firm faith foundation and to be ready with answers when his faith is challenged.

Our pastor recommended a book this past weekend called More Than A Carpenter by Josh McDowell. Jamie has read the book (I haven't), but I think the author (who wasn't a Christian at the time) basically did an in-depth investigation to determine, "Who is this Jesus?" He ultimately determined that Jesus is the Real Deal!

We're excited to introduce Micah to Jesus, but we're also painfully aware of the other messages that will be competing with our own. If you are praying for Micah, please pray for his relationship with Jesus. Yes, we want him to be healthy, smart, happy, etc., but we're much more interested in his eternity.

2 comments:

The Congleton Family said...

Just a note to let you know we are already praying for Micah and his heart to know Jesus! He will have wonderful Godly parents to teach him all about our wonderful Savior!

Anonymous said...

This is how I know that you and Jamie are going to make incredible parents! You both know where you stand in life and more importantly have a personal relationship with Jesus. I will pray for Micah and also pray that Jesus will answer your prayers!