Thursday, April 7, 2011

Gender Party

Our cake was BLUE - It's a BOY!

Thursday, April 7, 2011 - Ultrasound
We had several, "Um, WHAT?" moments at our appointment. The first one happened when I checked in. I asked if they were doing a urine test in addition to the ultrasound (I really had to go), and the receptionist said, "You're not scheduled for an ultrasound." "Um, WHAT?" Turns out, two patients with the same last name had appointments that morning, and she was looking at the other girl's record. WHEW! Once we went in, we explained about our gender party and asked the tech to put the gender information in an unsealed envelope that we brought. She agreed to do it, but she said that most couples peek before they even get to the parking lot. At that point, Jamie and I had pretty much decided that we wanted to know before the party. At the same time, we knew when we picked up Micah afterward, my mom (and babysitter) would ask if we knew, and we didn't want to lie. So we decided we would look after we picked him up. No lies :-)

When the ultrasound began, we immediately noticed that the baby was laying with its back up. The tech was able to see all the vital organs - everything looked great - but she could not see the gender. She told us that the baby would have to move or she would not be able to tell. Um, WHAT? We've already planned a big party...but then a few minutes later, she quickly turned the screen toward her and said she got it! I think we both suspected it was a boy then, but honestly, I've felt that way since I learned I was pregnant. With both my children, that is one detail God has always shared with me. I feel like I've just "known" from early on both times.

I thought I would be a little disappointed at not getting a daughter, but I wasn't. I was so happy to hear the baby was healthy - and that I was measuring 10 days ahead of my due date! Now he is due September 1. I'm also thrilled about getting to re-use all of Micah's cute clothes. And when I get visions of the two of them playing in the tub together or all of us going to Disney World, I'm so happy.

We are still finalizing a name, but we're pretty sure Joel will be part of it, and that's what we plan to call him. So yay for Joel (or whoever you end up being)...we can't wait to meet you!

1 comment:

The Congleton Family said...

What an eventful day you had! Micah is going to love having a brother, along with being Big Bro! You will be a wonderful mother to two sweet little boys who I might add will adore their mother!:)