Friday, April 15, 2011

Micah's Ears - Update

We had a great appointment this morning with Micah's ENT doctor. Micah has fluid behind both of his ears, which means he hears as if he had a finger stuck in both ears. This obviously impacts his hearing and speech, and it's also affecting his balance. I was so relieved to hear this because his speech and gross motor skills are two things I've really worried about. When your baby isn't developing exactly like other children, you tend to think the worst: autism, neurological defect, etc. I know he's really smart, and our pediatrician reassured me that he does not appear to be autistic (he's way too social for one thing), but I have still wondered what was causing these delays. Now we find out that one thing - this fluid behind his ears - is likely responsible for all of them, and there's a treatment in site!

Micah is scheduled to get tubes in May. I asked if he would need speech therapy afterward to catch up with his peers, but the doctor said that at his age, he should catch up quickly on his own. I know most parents probably don't get excited about their child having surgery, but I'm thrilled to know that there's a low-risk treatment for him that should really improve his quality of life.

I'm also getting really excited about having a newborn again. I still worry about juggling both boys and making sure everyone's needs are met, but I'm feeling more confident all the time. Micah is so sweet with other babies; his friend Emily was at our house this week, and when she started to cry, he took her a passy. He also tried (a little roughly I might add) to rock her in the car seat when she was fussy. I really love seeing him develop empathy.

New baby's name is Joel, made official by the fact that I ordered something monogrammed this week. I really wanted to give him a family name from my side since Micah is named after Jamie's side. Unfortunately, we don't have many good male names in my family, so right now we're leaning toward Joel White Orr. White is my maiden name for those who didn't know me before I was married. We try to talk about Joel to Micah - Joel's room, Joel's clothes - but I don't think he gets it yet. Soon enough!

3 comments:

stambaughfamily said...

My friend's little boy got tubes b/c of all the fluid and infections and it was AMAZING how his speech took off even in just a few weeks b/c of how much better he could hear! Praying things go well for him.

Steven and Candi Manning said...

Great news that the doctors could pinpoint the cause and give you some answers. We'll be praying for a successful surgery and recuperation. And I love the name Joel!

the Orrs said...

Thanks girls for your encouragement. Now we just have to wait 6 weeks for the surgery...blah :-(