Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Rain Showers and Baby Showers

Can we say that the summer is flying by? We started our July 4th weekend Saturday morning in Raleigh with the Great Raleigh Road Race. It was, dare I say it, cool outside when we started setting up at 6 am. We had a great time and got down to our river house by mid-afternoon to enjoy the annual July 4th cookout on Kilby Island. I ate my weight in desserts (not to mention barbecue and other things). We also got some new family pictures of the three of us (see some of the out-takes below), and we killed a water moccasin.

Camera Tricks: my father-in-law used a special lense to distort
this picture and make me appear about 72 weeks pregnant.

Eskimo Kissies

Feeling Micah

Sunday the weather was overcast all day. We sat around waiting for it to rain, and finally around 5, we decided it wasn't going to so we all went out for exercise (me walking, Jamie and his dad running). I heard thunder...I knew better...but I continued on my walk anyway. About that time the Heavens opened up and sent a rainy, thundery, lightning mess down on top of us. We all ran home...again, I know better...and after Jamie beat me home, he came back to get me with the golf cart. I climbed in just as a lightning bolt hit (what felt like) right beside me. It was scary for all involved (including Micah, I'm sure).

***

Yesterday, my office mates threw me a "surprise" baby shower by the pool. I had sorta figured it out, but it was awesome anyway. We got some great things for Micah and some homemade extras that I never expected. Brenda, my office mate who taught me to sew, made Micah a pair of booties. (I think she was concerned that I hadn't made him any myself.) My friend, Stephanie, and I have a running joke about that. She is a graphic designer and has painted tons of nurseries, but her own son's room is still not finished. Likewise, I've made baby booties for many of my friends, but Micah would be barefoot without Brenda! As if the booties weren't enough, Brenda's daughter decorates cakes and made us one featuring the booties that Brenda had sewn (see below). They are a crafty pair! I work with an incredible team, and Jamie and I were so blessed by their thoughtfulness and generosity. I will miss them once I start working at home when Micah's born.

Our cake and booties

Some of our goodies...check out the "M" painted with a
running theme. This was a special present from my good friend JJ with Jamie in mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Geez, you almost got struck my lightening?! AND you ran? GIRL.... but I'm proud of you for eating your weight in sweets. You only have 9 weeks to have an excuse to pig out so use it up! (Jamie, don't be mad at me for saying that)-- we can go on a diet when the kiddos arrive :)