Monday, July 13, 2009

What Is A Jicama Anyway?


My weekly pregnancy email says that Micah is about the size of a jicama (3.75 pounds) this week. I'm continuing to measure a few days early, and he has a strong heartbeat and has been head-down for weeks. We have most things ready to go and one more shower this weekend - an ice cream sundae shower that's mostly for family.

I'm planning to work part-time from home once Micah is born and had anticipated getting 15-20 hours, but so far I've gotten a lousy eight. Things could change, but it's looking like eight is our number, so we re-did our budget yesterday. It wasn't as daunting as we had expected...we'll still eat and take warm showers...but the days of being DINKs (double income, no kids) are nearly over. I think the discipline will be good for us. In the past, our budget was more like a goal or a rough estimate of what we could (or should) spend each month. Now we'll actually have to live by it. This weekend I told my mom, "This will really be hard for Jamie because he's not used to telling himself no." And she came back with, "Well, neither are you." BUSTED. Oh well... Baby M (not to be confused with BM) is worth it. And God has always provided, and I know He'll continue to as we do our part to wisely manage our finances.

In these last eight weeks of pregnancy, I am...spending lots of QT with Jamie, pottying eight-ish times a night, outgrowing all my maternity clothes, taking classes on nursing and childbirth, staying wet (pool, river or beach), doing lots of "adult activities" (the kinds you don't take kids to, like going to see Jersey Boys this Saturday), assembling all of Micah's new trinkets, getting very excited about meeting my little boy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah really! What is a jicama? Anyway, I can't believe how fast its flown by! You guys will be holding BM (hahaha) in your arms before you know it. We have missed yall and the group so much. We are really looking forward to Thursday night! Keep staying cool and wet.

PS- You aren't alone on the bathroom breaks. I go every hour at night and don't sleep... fun, eh?