Monday, March 11, 2013

The Daniel Fast Day 2

No great wisdom can be reached without sacrifice. - C.S. Lewis

Ugh. So I woke up feeling unusually refreshed, especially considering that both of my children had woken me during the night. I made banana strawberry tofu smoothies for breakfast - I still have that cold, so mine tasted pretty good.

In terms of my prayer life, it was honestly quite better right before the fast began. I picked three areas of my life to take to God during this fast - along with a trial facing two of my friends - and a lot of that happens during quick prayers I say throughout my day. I decided to follow my church's Bible reading plan for my quiet times during the fast, but the material is sort of boggling my mind right now. Bits and pieces resonate with me, but I know I'm not getting it all.

Lunch was torture. We went to McAllister's and ordered plain baked potatoes with veggie chili. Was the chili 100% "fast friendly"? I do not know or care. I'm following the spirit of the law (instead of the letter), which is sacrificing some of the indulgences that I crave. And trust me, I would NOT have ordered that if I was not fasting.

Later that day, Jamie and I decided to make a change. In hindsight, I feel it was over-zealous to attempt a rigid 3-week fast when we've never fasted before. Perhaps I should have taken one of the modified plans instead of going to gusto. We decided to continue with the Daniel fast for breakfast, lunch and snacks, but dinner can include all natural/whole foods. We tried that for dinner tonight, but then we felt convicted and decided to get back on the wagon full force. The conviction came from the maple syrup we allowed in our dessert. Natural, yes. Sacrificial, not really.

No comments: