Friday, April 30, 2010

The Grass Is Not Greener

Here's a little wisdom I gleaned last weekend. I follow a few of my favorite celebs via Twitter (yes, I know...), and sometimes I start wondering if the grass is greener on the other side. They seem to have really cool lives that I sometimes envy. Only my very old friends will know this, but there was a time early in my college career when I was poised to pursue a career in acting. I'd done community theater, some extra work on Dawson's Creek and was already taking classes in ECU's theater program, but I chose instead to transfer to UNC and pursue journalism. I don't necessarily regret that decision, but sometimes I wonder, What if? I obviously wouldn't change where I am today in my personal life, but professionally speaking, I often wonder about the road not taken.

So anyway...I'm following my celeb friends on Twitter, and checking out some of the people who they follow, and one person who I think has a pretty cool job (casting director) is recounting an experience she had on a plane when another couple got engaged. This obviously made her quite jealous, and then it dawned on me. I have what she wants. I have a wonderful husband and the most adorable baby at home. And no matter what kind of job you have, I think the most famous person in the world still wants someone to come home to at the end of the day, a family to love. Then I felt very convicted for my envy and also extremely thankful for the family that I have. God has truly spared me no good gifts, and I'm just sorry I have to be reminded of that from time to time.

No comments: