Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Ferocious Nature of Lions, Bears and Alligators

After weeks of wondering, guessing, poling our friends and dreaming (I actually had dreams about the sex of the baby), we found out on Friday that we are expecting a little boy - Micah James - on Labor Day!! For someone who was hoping for a girl simply because the clothes are so darn cute, I have not for a second stopped beaming over this little boy! Before we started the ultrasound, I told the technician that we definitely wanted to know the sex. Once she started the scan, she asked if we had any intuitions. I told her that I thought it was a girl. At that point - about five seconds into the procedure - she said, "Well I already know what it is." I looked at Jamie and said, "Oh, it's a boy if she knows that quick." And sure enough it was. The technician said she was 99.9% sure...the highest she'd ever go.

These ultrasounds are really amazing - we were able to see the chambers of his heart, the three bones in his pinkie finger, the bridge bone across his nose and a close-up of his upper lip. Incredible! We are so thankful that he appears to be very healthy and is measuring exactly to his due date. As a side note, I got to meet Dr. Haskins during our ultrasound. She is the new doctor at our practice, and we loved her! As we were finishing up, she asked how I'd been feeling and I casually mentioned my issue with excess saliva. She said, "Oh, I can write you a prescription for that." WHAT?!?! Where was she the last ten weeks of my life? Dr Haskins = my hero.

A couple more cool things about having a boy...I had to do a little tall talking before Jamie would agree to start a family now. I turn 30 at my next birthday and really wanted to have a child by then. He finally agreed (I didn't trick him ;-), and it was just icing on the cake that our baby turned out to be a boy. My first thought when we found out was how happy I knew Jamie would be to have a little fishing buddy. He's sooooo excited about baby Micah!

Another cool thing...we are in an awesome Bible study with 9 other couples, and four of us either have children or are expecting, and they're ALL BOYS. We're so excited that Micah will have this little built-in playgroup. Our neighbors (and good friends) are also expecting within a few days of us. Jamie and I had talked about how fun it would be to have our babies around the same time, but I can honestly say that only God could have planned that so perfectly...we are so excited!

This post is getting long, but I have to end with a funny conversation Jamie and I had about Micah's clothes. One of our couple friends didn't want any clothes with animals on them for their son, and I asked Jamie how he felt about that. He said, "Well, if the animal is ferocious and eats other animals, like a lion or bear or alligator, then it's ok. But if it's a wussy animal like a duck or a kitten, that's not ok. They can't kill anything." I was laughing my tail off. Of course, then I had to explain to my mom why she couldn't buy the little ducky sleeper she'd been eyeing, but she surprisingly said, "Well, I understand that." Too funny :-)

4 comments:

The Cox Family said...

Yay! Boys are so fun! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

That is such a cute story! I love that you guys are having a boy! I'm so excited! ALL THESE BOYS! Congratulations again!

Anonymous said...

hahaha great conversation ending :) I'm so excited for you 2 er um 3!

Sam Williams said...

I've met some pretty ferocious ducks.