Thursday, February 5, 2009

Bumpity Bump Bump

I'm petrified of nipple chafing. Once it starts, it is a vicious cycle. You have sensitive nipples...they chafe, so they become more sensitive, so they chafe more. So, I take precautions. - Andy, The Office


I'm happy to report that my nausea and stomach irritation have improved, but I'm now dealing with constant peeing and the most annoying symptom of all, Ptyalism (excessive saliva). I did not realize that was a symptom of pregnancy until I looked it up in my Pregnancy Bible, and sure enough it's there. The other night Jamie said to me, "When you wanted this so bad, you had no idea you'd be peeing after five minutes and slobbering like a dog!"

He's funny, my Jamie. Sunday I was trying to talk him out of watching the Super Bowl. USA network was showing a 17-hour House marathon, and even though I was DVRing the whole thing - and had seen all but 4 of the episodes previously - I wanted to watch that instead. He told me, "Um, I think they'd recall my testicles if I didn't watch at least some of the Super Bowl." So we did. Don't want any recalls ;-)

For someone who wanted to have a baby so badly, I'm surprised by how often I think about how this will change my life. I know the good will certainly outweigh the inconvenient, but my thoughts tend to rest on the inconvenient: will my child sleep? how will I function if s/he doesn't? will Jamie and I still be able to go and do even half as much as we go and do now?

Part of this has to do with how I feel physically right now. I feel that my body has been taken over by something that is sucking out all the good stuff (energy, etc.). I tend to think that's how it will be for the next 18+ years when I know this phase is temporary.

Another part of this is a reaction to my years of baby-sitting/nannying. I've seen countless parenting styles and determined how I want to be not only as a parent but as a wife, friend, and daughter after my child is born. For many parents, the child becomes the center of the world after its birth, and everything else becomes secondary. While I believe that children are welcome members of the family, I don't believe they are the center of the family to the point that the parents no longer have a life away from the child. I think children actually benefit from seeing their parents happily married, which includes mom and dad spending time away from the children (weekly date nights, vacations, etc.); pursuing their own interests and passions, even if it's only through a hobby; and engaging in relationships with others (friends). I really want to strive to have that balance with my child.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jenn, you look great! Don't worry about a thing. Remember we are all clueless when we are holding that baby getting ready to leave the hospital and thinking "I'm on my own now. What next?" You will be surprised by how your motherly instinct kicks in. You and Jamie will be awesome parents! We had "date night" once a week until Tanner was about a year old. It was wonderful to hand him over and it could just be me and Brandon. I don't know why we stopped having those nights but I want them back. It is very important to get away, just the 2 of you, and enjoy each other's company.