Monday, January 26, 2009

8 Weeks Already!

I'm feeling a little better today now that I've tweaked my drug cocktail and gotten my diet straight (no, I'm not taking anything that will harm my baby). I do need several things to help get me through my day though, including 1/2 Zofran in the evening (nausea) and some other remedies that aren't "lady like" to discuss, but suffice it to say they are safe and necessary. Jamie told me the other day, "You're doing a lot of gross things now that you're pregnant." Ha. And after we had dinner at my mom's, he said, "Good job on not being gross tonight." It was hard.

I have to really watch my carbohydrates so that I don't feel like a bloated cow. And I've also had to develop a real fondness for lemon candies because they help control the excess saliva that sometimes develops in my mouth. Ewww! Pregnancy is not sexy in my house...at least not yet!

We're really enjoying our Financial Peace University course. This week, we focused on "money and relationships" and got some great ideas on how to teach our child about money. Dave Ramsey, the author of the course, suggests giving kids a commission (not an allowance) for certain chores that they do each week (he says "certain," because they're expected to do more than that simply because they are part of the family). They only get paid if they do these chores, and when they receive their commission, they separate it into three piles: spending, saving and giving. The giving pile is their weekly tithe, and the spending pile can be used toward a special toy or other item they really want. We love this plan and are excited about teaching our child about money (and getting some help around the house ;-).

No comments: