Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Story of Micah

Micah James Orr

We have a baby!!! Teeny little Micah James arrived on Saturday, September 5, at 10:56pm. He weighed 7 pounds and measured 20 inches. He is so darn cute, but then again I guess we are biased. Micah's birth was not quick or easy, but he's healthy, beautiful and we're so in love!

In a twist most ironical, I was told at my doctor's appointment Friday that I was not dilated at all and would probably go a week or more overdue. I was so upset. I went home that afternoon and cried several times, but Jamie was so sweet and suggested several fun things for us to do over the weekend to get my spirits up. Then at 12:45am Saturday morning, I woke to discover my water had broken! We headed to the hospital around 9am and were very pleased to get the labor room and the midwife that we wanted.

Since my water had broken and I was more susceptible to infection, I had to take Pitocin to regulate my contractions. That is the worst drug over, and I had a hellish time with it. I was given some IV pain medicine, but it didn't last long. By afternoon, I had only dilated 1cm and was in terrible pain. I had decided that I would get an epidural, but the nurse and midwife were encouraging me to wait until I was further along. Finally I did get it (took two tries before it worked) and it was the best thing ever! I really started to progress and was ready to push by 9pm.

I pushed well, but by that point several things were working against me: almost 24 hours with no food or sleep, and Micah just didn't want to slide under my pelvic bone. I pushed a solid hour when the midwife suggested we get Dr. Avery to come in and try to turn Micah. He did that, but I still had a lot of work to do. For my mental and my physical health, I needed him out soon. I said as much, and Dr. Avery said, "Well, I can use the vacuum and he'll be born in two pushes." It was a very unpleasant 2ish pushes, but he came out at 10:56pm.

I will say that labor tested my physical and mental capacities beyond anything I've ever experienced before. He was so worth it, though. We just can't get enough of him! Jamie and I left half of our camera equipment at home, but as soon as we get it, we'll upload lots of pictures.

6 comments:

The Cox Family said...

Welcome to the world Micah! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Chillin' with Lemonade said...

YAay! Congrats! Have you forgotten the pain already, like they say?

Enjoy!

The Mickey's said...

We are so excited for the both of you.

The Congleton Family said...

Wow, I am very impressed you're still in the hospital and already updating your blog! You already are such a wonderful mommy!! I am so glad for your sake Micah decided to make his arrival... on ECU's First Game Day of the season! yay!

Anonymous said...

He is so cute! I can't wait to hold him! Congratulations!!!

NCThorps said...

I LOVE your new blog settings Jenn!! Micah is every bit of precious that you could imagine!! Congratulations to you and Jamie!! I know you will be making a lot of memories over the next year! Can't wait to read all about them!